Wednesday, June 14, 2006

MY SONG

This is my jam
Minus the backbeat
Poetess to the core
Though lyrics escape me
Still if music is the sound a soul makes
This is mine
My years measured in pages and intermittent rhymes
So what if you can't crank it up
Dance to it or romance to it?
You can absorb this
And dream on this
Like an ethereal foundation on which to place your ponderings
Indulge your fantasies
Plan new yearnings
So I give you this:
Frail paper with feeble language
Because you can't see through my jaded idealistic eyes
Only into their tainted depths
And I construct these lines
To touch your mind
Because without a detailed diagram
You will not recognize who I truly am
That even when down
I am far from out
And that if you see my heart on my sleeve
It's only because that's where I want it to be
For all that it's worth and the sick risk it is
The falls may be brutal
But the trip itself is pure bliss
'Cuz without all of that
There could be no this
And somewhere in the hyperbole of my poetry
There is the story of every you and me
Cut dried and simplified
Arranged center stage on display for the world to see
There is universality
In the crash scene of every loving tragedy
And I may be covered in the ashes of this untimely combustion
But at least I know how to burn
Which you seem to perceive
As some immature catastrophe
Some sloppy tribute to my leftover needs
But my creation stems from emotion and observation
And the sticky subject of eternal self examination
Propelled as it is by my constant regeneration
And if you too had a dream to acheive
That was facilitated by the humble pie trinity of passion love and absolute transparency
You could share some of my journey
And your words of wisdom with me
But seeing as how the things you prioritize
Are based on illusion distraction and the need to accessorize
I have to step back from your constructive attack
And take a quick count of my to do list
My who's who list
The places I need to see
The person I have yet to be
In all my pending comfort joy and glory
And though I may dare to let you in to share
At my core I will never stray from the real me
And though it may be smarter and safer
To put an end to this caper
Turn off the tunes
Lock down my dreams
Burn up this paper
I need to go on feeling each and every rough curve as I grow with the flow
'Cuz without pop lock breaking inside
I could never know what I know



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dawn, I'm not kidding when I say that this is your best, so far. Subtle changes, huge impact. I've said it once and I'll say it again, you're brilliant as is your poetry. I think so anyways...

Anonymous said...

Well done Dawn. Especialy loved the ending. Well turned.