Friday, June 24, 2011

The Continuing Tale of D

I've tripped over some slick lines in my time.
Built a few traps,
tested various poisons,
and played house with wolves and sheep
(they are equally domesticated and dangerous in the long run).

I've dived deep in shallow waters
barely missing the jagged rocks;
fallen blindly into fathomless depths
lost the sun;
but things do taste sweetest down there.

A word of advice:
all that glitters is not precious
even when it's set in gold.
I've been so afraid to fly
that I keep on crashing.

The travel broschures keep piling up
but I keep myself under paranoid lock and key
because if I can't make i there
who will I be?

I've loved too hard,
hated too many,
and one of those was me.
I've found myself isolated in crowds,
and lost myself again just as easily
in gracious solitude.

I've rejected authority,
conformity and anarchy
and have still met some dieties along the way
though the road less traveled
is so for a reason.

I've sworn off love more often than I've found it
and now I'm nourishing the notion that my love for me can spring eternal
if I keep my wits about me
and my soul food pure.

I've grown to accept that I will never have polite clean lines
instead I gleefully rock my carnal curves.
And while I sometimes mourn lost moments
but then I remember that hindsight is 20/20
and probably will be again tomorrow.

When I cry in the rain
I remind myself that the moon
holds me in her eye and heart
and when the day nearly does me in
I remember it's the sun that grows me.

At this bend I reflect
and admit
that I have no clue
where the paths will lead from here
but I intend to keep my sights set high
despite where the winds may toss me
or what the scenery hides.
For now,
I am free to window shop
for the shoes I have yet to fill.


(January 3, 2007)

No comments: